• Merry Christmas!

    From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to All on Sun Dec 7 08:26:00 2014
    Hello All,

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!

    Thousands of messages, not only in Dovenet, are being duped the past couple weeks by two BBSs that it seems the sysops have absolutely no idea WTF they're doing. These systems are both Synchronet QWK systems.

    So hopefully the sysops of RDFIG as well as ISIS will read this and continue their venture a little more cautiously!

    </rant>

    Regards,
    Nick

    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (723:1/701)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Digital Man@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Access Denied on Sun Dec 7 17:38:00 2014
    Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to All on Sun Dec 07 2014 09:26 am

    Hello All,

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!

    Thousands of messages, not only in Dovenet, are being duped the past couple weeks by two BBSs that it seems the sysops have absolutely no idea WTF they're doing. These systems are both Synchronet QWK systems.

    Actually, both of those systems appear to be running Mystic, not Synchronet.

    So hopefully the sysops of RDFIG as well as ISIS will read this and
    continue their venture a little more cautiously!

    I've removed the posting privileges of both of those nodes until such time as they can assure me they've identified and fixed the problem.

    digital man

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #78:
    172 Synchronet Match Maker registrations were sold (@$69) between 1995 and 1996.
    Norco, CA WX: 66.6øF, 56.0% humidity, 4 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Digital Man on Mon Dec 8 05:11:00 2014
    Hello Digital,

    On 07 Dec 14 18:38, Digital Man wrote to Access Denied:

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!

    Thousands of messages, not only in Dovenet, are being duped the
    past couple weeks by two BBSs that it seems the sysops have
    absolutely no idea WTF they're doing. These systems are both
    Synchronet QWK systems.

    Actually, both of those systems appear to be running Mystic, not Synchronet.

    Good call. I just rechecked and noticed you're right on that. One of those systems runs both softwares I believe, that's where the confusion was.

    So hopefully the sysops of RDFIG as well as ISIS will read this and
    continue their venture a little more cautiously!

    I've removed the posting privileges of both of those nodes until such
    time as they can assure me they've identified and fixed the problem.

    I've had Mystic hooked up to Dovenet since QWK networking was added to it, and have never had this issue, so I can only guess that there's a serious setup error going on. If there's a way you could capture one of those large corrupted
    REP packets you mentioned for James to take a look at, that would be a good start.

  • From Android8675@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Access Denied on Mon Dec 8 07:29:00 2014
    Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to All on Sun Dec 07 2014 09:26 am

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!

    Tis also the season to not be such a hard ass.

    Merry Christmas!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From Digital Man@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Access Denied on Mon Dec 8 16:17:00 2014
    Re: Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to Digital Man on Mon Dec 08 2014 06:11 am

[...]

    I have no way of telling. The dupes that have been imported are often truncated
    or have extra white-space appended to the message body which has managed to cause the messages to not be caught by normal dupe-checking measures. That doesn't sound like a "setup error" to me.

    If there's a way you could capture one of those large
    corrupted REP packets you mentioned for James to take a look at, that would be a good start.

    My board deletes the REP packets immediately after they're imported, so no, I dodn't really have that ability.

    digital man

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #69:
    Rob Swindell was interviewed for Jason Scott's BBS Documentary in July of 2002. Norco, CA WX: 73.4øF, 33.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Android8675 on Mon Dec 8 15:41:00 2014
    Hello Android8675,

    On 08 Dec 14 08:29, Android8675 wrote to Access Denied:

    Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to All on Sun Dec 07 2014 09:26 am

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!

    Tis also the season to not be such a hard ass.

    Merry Christmas!

    Really? Where the hell did you pull that out of?

    Regards,
    Nick

    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (723:1/701)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Digital Man on Tue Dec 9 17:36:00 2014
    Hello Digital,

    On 08 Dec 14 17:17, Digital Man wrote to Access Denied:

    I have no way of telling. The dupes that have been imported are often truncated or have extra white-space appended to the message body which
    has managed to cause the messages to not be caught by normal
    dupe-checking measures. That doesn't sound like a "setup error" to me.

    If there's a way you could capture one of those large
    corrupted REP packets you mentioned for James to take a look at,
    that would be a good start.

    My board deletes the REP packets immediately after they're imported,
    so no, I dodn't really have that ability.

    You said you were going to take away posting priviledges for those systems. Is there a way you can have it stop processing the REP packet if it sees it's from
    a system that isn't allowed to post, or not?

    If James doesn't carry this area, or isn't reading it, I'm trying to forward him any information he may need. If no definite errors can be shown or proven, there may not be anything he can do about it. I believe you've told me something in those lines in the past and made me go digging for a way to get something concrete to you so you would believe me! :)

    Regards,
    Nick

    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (723:1/701)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Digital Man@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Access Denied on Tue Dec 9 23:20:00 2014
    Re: Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to Digital Man on Tue Dec 09 2014 06:36 pm

    Hello Digital,

    On 08 Dec 14 17:17, Digital Man wrote to Access Denied:

    I have no way of telling. The dupes that have been imported are often truncated or have extra white-space appended to the message body which has managed to cause the messages to not be caught by normal dupe-checking measures. That doesn't sound like a "setup error" to me.

    If there's a way you could capture one of those large
    corrupted REP packets you mentioned for James to take a look at,
    that would be a good start.

    My board deletes the REP packets immediately after they're imported,
    so no, I dodn't really have that ability.

    You said you were going to take away posting priviledges for those systems. Is there a way you can have it stop processing the REP packet if it sees it's from a system that isn't allowed to post, or not?

    No. REP packet can contain email too, so it's not an all-or-nothing. And I don't store uploaded REP packets or else sysop's hard disks could fill up with garbage.

    If James doesn't carry this area, or isn't reading it, I'm trying to
    forward him any information he may need. If no definite errors can be shown or proven, there may not be anything he can do about it. I believe you've told me something in those lines in the past and made me go digging for a way to get something concrete to you so you would believe me! :)

    I don't think James is even on DOVE-Net, is he? <shrug>

    I assume these Mystic boards are running some untested alpha or beta code and they should be able to generate a REP packet and send it to the author of that software. I have my own fish to fry. :-)

    digital man

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #39:
    Synchronet has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX, and MacOS.
    Norco, CA WX: 58.0øF, 69.0% humidity, 3 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Android8675@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Access Denied on Wed Dec 10 11:36:00 2014
    Re: Re: Merry Christmas!
    By: Access Denied to Android8675 on Mon Dec 08 2014 04:41 pm

    Tis the season to STOP DUPING INTO NETWORKS!
    Tis also the season to not be such a hard ass.
    Merry Christmas!
    Really? Where the hell did you pull that out of?

    Just messin with ya... :)

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From ROBERT WOLFE@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to DIGITAL MAN on Wed Dec 10 03:11:00 2014
    On 12/10/2014 12:20 AM, DIGITAL MAN wrote to ACCESS DENIED:

    I assume these Mystic boards are running some untested alpha or beta code and
    they should be able to generate a REP packet and send it to the author of that
    software. I have my own fish to fry. :-)

    I realize I may be opening up a big can of worms here, but I want to say that I believe
    Mystic is in a pertetual Alpha state.
    ---
    þ wcQWK 7.0 ÷ Omicron Theta BBS * Memphis, TN * winserver.us
  • From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to Digital Man on Wed Dec 10 16:21:00 2014
    Hello Digital,

    On 10 Dec 14 00:20, Digital Man wrote to Access Denied:

    No. REP packet can contain email too, so it's not an all-or-nothing.
    And I don't store uploaded REP packets or else sysop's hard disks
    could fill up with garbage.

    Ah, okay.

    I don't think James is even on DOVE-Net, is he? <shrug>

    He was as far as I know.

    I assume these Mystic boards are running some untested alpha or beta
    code and they should be able to generate a REP packet and send it to
    the author of that software. I have my own fish to fry. :-)

    It's always tested before alphas are released to the public. He doesn't release
    betas, but the alphas could basically be considered either or. Anyhow, it's just as "tested" as Synchronet's newly added/modified code.

    Regards,
    Nick

    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
    * Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (723:1/701)
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Access Denied@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to ROBERT WOLFE on Wed Dec 10 19:32:00 2014
    Hello ROBERT,

    On 10 Dec 14 04:11, ROBERT WOLFE wrote to DIGITAL MAN:

    I realize I may be opening up a big can of worms here, but I want to
    say that I believe Mystic is in a pertetual Alpha state.

    Not really.. If you want to run a stable version, run v1.09 full release. However, that doesn't contain the new built-in mailer, tosser, file tosser, QWK
    networking, area index and message reader combo (kinda like a in-BBS Golded), and then some - which everyone has taken a part in asking for after 1.09 was released.

    Once all the quirks are worked out of the alphas, 1.10 will be released, and you can use that as long as you want (here it comes!). *However* you won't be able to use any of the features that will be added in the 1.11 alphas unless you keep up. :)

    To be completely honest, I think there have been more "stable," "full version with installer, etc" releases of Mystic in the past 5 or so years than there has been for Synchronet. :D :D :D

    But, that's all besides the point. I'm a huge fan of both softwares, and try my
    best to contribute to both when I can and when I notice something that's worthy
    of bringing up for discussion with the developers and anyone interested.

  • From ROBERT WOLFE@DIGDIST/BATTLEST/FREEWAY to ACCESS DENIED on Fri Dec 12 06:01:00 2014
    I realize I may be opening up a big can of worms here, but I want
    say that I believe Mystic is in a pertetual Alpha state.

    Not really.. If you want to run a stable version, run v1.09 full
    release. However, that doesn't contain the new built-in mailer,
    tosser, file tosser, QWK

    Well, yeah. :)
    ---
    þ wcGATE 4.2 ÷ Omicron Theta BBS/2 * Memphis, TN * os2.winserver.us
    þ wcQWK 7.0 ÷ Omicron Theta BBS * Memphis, TN * winserver.us