• Re: Up, Up, and away, in

    From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Sat Feb 4 12:13:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Gamgee to MRO on Fri Feb 03 2023 09:20 pm

    MRO wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

    going to let it continue its flight across the country, until it reaches Gulf
    or the Atlantic or falls down on its own rather than shoot it down.

    So, if you live in its path, you might want to go outside and give the Chinese government something to look at. :(

    Our government seems as clueless, and vulnerable, as they did right before 9/11.

    exactly. very pathetic.
    too bad nobody flew a drone up there to pierce it or something.

    Can you tell me where I can buy a drone that can fly up to 60,000 feet altitude? Thanks.

    Oh, and it's gotta have a "piercer" on it too.

    ... Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

    Commercial GPS modules are limited by the gov't regarding operation range.
    hy are restricted in speed and altitude. They don't want home brew guided mnissiles.
    20 years ago a New Zealander made aclaim it is possible to build a cruise missile for under $15000 at the time, and he wasn't taken very seriously. He started a build log, leaving out technical stuff to a minimum. When he scheduled a flightplan with the New Zealand version of the FAA, they took him seriously. And so did the US. He sells high end model planes and he was restricted in selling certain technology to customers in the Middle East. In order to function with commercial GPS chips, he kept his flight plan to
    lower altitudes and lower speeds. In stead of making a mach 4 missile he
    made a WWII style pulse jet similar to a V-1 rocket. It would fly along at 300-400 mph and fly a level course along several waypoints (low altitude
    object avoidance, fly below radar.)

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sat Feb 4 12:20:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Nightfox to Gamgee on Fri Feb 03 2023 10:30 pm

    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in my..
    By: Gamgee to MRO on Fri Feb 03 2023 09:20 pm

    too bad nobody flew a drone up there to pierce it or something.

    Can you tell me where I can buy a drone that can fly up to 60,000 feet altitude? Thanks.

    Oh, and it's gotta have a "piercer" on it too.

    Your local hobby shop should have one of those, right? ;)

    Nightfox

    Civiliian GPS is hobbled so it has an altitude and speed restriction. The gov 't is afraid of people making ballistic missiles.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Sat Feb 4 10:58:00 2023
    Oh, and it's gotta have a "piercer" on it too.

    Your local hobby shop should have one of those, right? ;)

    It would be pretty hilarious if the government says they cannot bring it
    down safely and then some Joe Schmo brings it down with some hobby
    equipment. :D

    * SLMR 2.1a * Those who live by the sword... kill those who don't.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Sat Feb 4 20:08:00 2023
    Moondog wrote to Gamgee <=-

[...]

    Cool story. Not sure what it's got to do with the topic under
    discussion..., but still cool.

    ... Diplomacy is saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find a rock.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to GAMGEE on Sun Feb 5 10:03:00 2023
    Cool story. Not sure what it's got to do with the topic under
    discussion..., but still cool.

    Using non-government technology to bring the balloon down was how I think
    we got to this. It is an interesting story for sure.

    * SLMR 2.1a * /////////// POLICE TAGLINE - DO NOT CROSS \\\\\\\\\\\\\

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Dumas Walker on Sun Feb 5 13:30:00 2023
    Dumas Walker wrote to GAMGEE <=-

    Cool story. Not sure what it's got to do with the topic under discussion..., but still cool.

    Using non-government technology to bring the balloon down was how
    I think we got to this. It is an interesting story for sure.

    Yes, maybe that was the angle. I thought it was more about how to get a non-government aircraft/device up to the balloon, which was at 60,000+
    feet of altitude. There aren't many (any?) planes that can fly that
    high, and the original "idea" was to use a "drone"... ;-)

    ... Diplomacy is saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find a rock.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Sun Feb 5 12:03:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Sat Feb 04 2023 10:58 am

    Oh, and it's gotta have a "piercer" on it too.

    Your local hobby shop should have one of those, right? ;)

    It would be pretty hilarious if the government says they cannot bring it down safely and then some Joe Schmo brings it down with some hobby equipment. :D

    * SLMR 2.1a * Those who live by the sword... kill those who don't.

    The ballon flew at 66,000 feet. Off the shelf GPS modules do not operate at speeds over 1000 knots and altitudes over 60,000 feet. You need a fighter
    jet or a missile to intercept it.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Sun Feb 5 12:12:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Gamgee to Moondog on Sat Feb 04 2023 08:08 pm

[...]

    If a civillian wanted build a missile to shoot something like that down, it would have to travel at speeds less than 1000 knots and be guided in some
    other way than GPS over 60,000 feet. 20 years ago a cruise missile could be made ofr $15,000. I imagine one could made for under $10k

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Tue Feb 7 07:39:00 2023
    Moondog wrote to MRO <=-

    that's not good enough. it should be shot down before entering our airspace.

    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In
    Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the
    methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until
    sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    ... All the easy problems have been solved.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From IB Joe@VERT/JOESBBS to Gamgee on Tue Feb 7 07:57:00 2023
    On 07 Feb 2023, Gamgee said the following...

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    They have it because Joe Biden left it for them during the great exit!!

    IB Joe
    AKA Joe Schweier
    SysOp of Joe's BBS
    -=JoesBBS.com=-

    ... Read messages, not taglines

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Tue Feb 7 15:03:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Gamgee to Moondog on Tue Feb 07 2023 07:39 am

    Moondog wrote to MRO <=-

    that's not good enough. it should be shot down before entering our airspa

    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the
    methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until
    sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    ... All the easy problems have been solved.

    Even if they did, EOD teams travel with security teams which keep observers
    and passers by several hundred yards from the device being dismantled. Assumming no one noticed this group of guys NODS with magnification
    recording video, they would also require a clear line of sight to see what
    the EOD guys are doing.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to GAMGEE on Tue Feb 7 16:37:00 2023
    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the
    methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until
    sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    If they didn't before, they do now thanks to Biden.

    * SLMR 2.1a * I'm! A! Graduate! Of! The! Bill! Shatner! Acting! School!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to IB Joe on Tue Feb 7 18:12:15 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: IB Joe to Gamgee on Tue Feb 07 2023 07:57 am

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    They have it because Joe Biden left it for them during the great exit!!

    There are people who think Trump is still the "secret president" and that the US Military still takes orders from him.

    So, was Trump directly in charge of the Afghanistan withdrawl?

    DaiTengu

    ...She drowned at the end of her life.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Tue Feb 7 18:51:00 2023
    Moondog wrote to Gamgee <=-

    that's not good enough. it should be shot down before entering our airspa

    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the
    methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until
    sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    Even if they did, EOD teams travel with security teams which keep observers and passers by several hundred yards from the device
    being dismantled. Assumming no one noticed this group of guys
    NODS with magnification recording video, they would also require
    a clear line of sight to see what the EOD guys are doing.

    But they need that (a clear line of sight) anyway... (even in daylight).
    What you're saying doesn't make much sense in supporting the idea that
    they do things after dark to avoid being observed.

    ... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Dumas Walker on Tue Feb 7 18:55:00 2023
    Dumas Walker wrote to GAMGEE <=-

    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the
    methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until
    sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    If they didn't before, they do now thanks to Biden.

    Indeed.

    ... Chuck Norris can divide by zero.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From IB Joe@VERT/JOESBBS to DaiTengu on Wed Feb 8 08:01:00 2023
    On 07 Feb 2023, DaiTengu said the following...

    There are people who think Trump is still the "secret president" and
    that the US Military still takes orders from him.

    So, was Trump directly in charge of the Afghanistan withdrawl?

    No... we need 4 years of Joe Biden to use as a foil for Trump's presidency... Trump as on record saying he wanted every nut and bolt out of that country before the military were to pull out.

    IB Joe
    AKA Joe Schweier
    SysOp of Joe's BBS
    -=JoesBBS.com=-

    ... Consultant: A person who makes good on a salesman's promises!

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: JoesBBS.Com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTP:80
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Wed Feb 8 14:41:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Dumas Walker to GAMGEE on Tue Feb 07 2023 04:37 pm

    Then the Chinese know how fast our detection process is. In Afghanistan the Taliban would plant IED's in order to study the methods of EOD squads. In some situations the EOD waited until sundown to prevent from being observed.

    Do you think the Taliban doesn't have night-vision equipment?

    If they didn't before, they do now thanks to Biden.

    * SLMR 2.1a * I'm! A! Graduate! Of! The! Bill! Shatner! Acting! School!

    If they're trying to be on the sly and and act like a like a local rubber necking a bomb scene, they'll look obvious wearing PVS-14's

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Wed Feb 8 14:49:00 2023
    Re: Re: Up, Up, and away, in
    By: Gamgee to Moondog on Tue Feb 07 2023 06:51 pm

    Moondog wrote to Gamgee <=-

[...]

    It' smore obvious they are not casual observers if they are wearing night vision or obvious camera equipment. They will have to position themselves in
    a way to get a good picture or line of sight, exposing their intentions.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DAITENGU on Wed Feb 8 16:28:00 2023
    There are people who think Trump is still the "secret president" and that
    he
    S Military still takes orders from him.

    There are? I have not heard that one. I did hear about the conspiracty
    theory that Trump and one (and only one!) Supreme Court Justice were going
    to pull some shennanigans and get him reinstated. That is not a right-wing theory, but a theory believed by those who are afraid it might happen.

    So, was Trump directly in charge of the Afghanistan withdrawl?

    Nope.

    * SLMR 2.1a * Explosion at the Mint. Change in staff.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Thu Feb 9 06:47:00 2023
    Dumas Walker wrote to GAMGEE <=-

    If they didn't before, they do now thanks to Biden.

    You mean, because of the middle-east troop draw-down that Trump
    signed before he left?

    ... Define an area as 'safe' and use it as an anchor
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Fri Feb 10 16:06:00 2023
    If they didn't before, they do now thanks to Biden.

    You mean, because of the middle-east troop draw-down that Trump
    signed before he left?

    If you take over for someone, don't listen to those advising you and then half-ass the job, you can blame you predecessor but that doesn't make it
    their fault.

    * SLMR 2.1a * 9 out of 10 men who try camels prefer women.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP