• Robot Holocaust (1987)

    From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to All on Tue Feb 28 18:03:50 2023
    Hello, moviegoers! I know you missed my awesome movie reviews, so here I am with yet
    another film! This review should not be considered a regular one, however, because I
    want to think it is a warning to prevent uncautious people from making the same mistake I made and watching this garbage.

    I believe myself unable to command the English language with proficency enough to
    convey just how awful this film is, but for the good of humanity I will try my best.

    Robot Holocaust's sorry excuse of a plot takes place after the Robots rebel against
    humanity, enslave us and take control of the planet. In order to operate their power
    production facilities, robots keep human slaves working day and night, feeding their
    power plants. It order to ensure the humans can't rebel, the robots control the air
    slaves breath. They have the power to supply or deny fresh air to the workers, so
    thoughts of rebellion are impossible, until some underground scientist and his daughter create some technoawesome implants that allow humans to survive without fresh
    air. When the robots learn this, they capture the scientist and hold him for interrogation. It is up to a bunch of human misfits to sneak into the fortress of the
    Dark Master, the supreme AI, and save him or die trying.

    It looks like a good enough plot for a B-Movie, doesn't it? That is just what I thought myself. Let s see what went wrong.

    For starters, the screenplay development is so badly done you'd think the filmakers
    were all from Italy. They can't convey the core plot points via screenplay, so they
    resort to exposition infodumps. I am not against infodumps as a matter of principle -
    for example, Star Wars would drop an infodump at the begining of each movie to get the
    story going - but the issue here is it is obvious they need to dump the information on
    the unsuspecting viewer every three minutes because they can't figure a way of giving
    us core information on the go.

    This translates in many scenes in which we get voiceovers explaining things that would
    have been self-explanatory with proper planning. For example, if your Sci-fi world has
    mutants and you want to elaborate on the nature of the mutants, you have two options
    for conveying the idea. The first one is to casually introduce the subject in some
    scene before mutants are encountered, posssibly via some dialog ("I am scared of this
    place. My uncle told me there are mutants about. They were all radiated by The Bomb
    and turned into cannibalistic monsters!") The second one is to just throw the mutants
    at the heroes as soon as they enter the forest and have a narrator tell the audience
    "There were mutants in the forest".

    I hesitate to classify the acting as atrocious, because I fail to see any acting in
    this movie. I have not done any research, but I feel tempted to bet many of the actors
    and actresses had never participated in a film in which they were all dressed and not
    boinking each other before.

    Robot Holocaust tries to capture the athmosphere of Sword and Sorcery movies and add a
    cyberpunk twist. Robots and mutants are torn asunder by barbarians wielding cardboard
    swords. It could have worked if the scenery and the customes didn't look purchased in
    some post-carnival sale in which retailers were trying to get rid of all the customes
    that hadn't been sold because they were so fucking bad. The sword fighting was atrociously filmed, and the mutant monstruosities were so cheaply made I doubt they
    spent more than ten bucks on the whole thing.

    All in all, the only Holocaust in this movie is the one you will get if you broadcast
    this over mainstream media and have people watch it. I guarantee most of the population will commit suicide two minutes into the film, not because of the pain of
    watching the movie itself but because of the pain of knowing the Universe is such a
    dark place that the laws of physics allow movies like this to be a possibility.

    Don't watch. You have been warned.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Wed Mar 1 10:11:00 2023
    Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: Arelor to All on Tue Feb 28 2023 06:03 pm

    Hello, moviegoers! I know you missed my awesome movie reviews, so here I am another film! This review should not be considered a regular one, however, b want to think it is a warning to prevent uncautious people from making the s mistake I made and watching this garbage.

    I believe myself unable to command the English language with proficency enou convey just how awful this film is, but for the good of humanity I will try

    Robot Holocaust's sorry excuse of a plot takes place after the Robots rebel humanity, enslave us and take control of the planet. In order to operate the production facilities, robots keep human slaves working day and night, feedi power plants. It order to ensure the humans can't rebel, the robots control slaves breath. They have the power to supply or deny fresh air to the worker thoughts of rebellion are impossible, until some underground scientist and h daughter create some technoawesome implants that allow humans to survive wit air. When the robots learn this, they capture the scientist and hold him for interrogation. It is up to a bunch of human misfits to sneak into the fortre Dark Master, the supreme AI, and save him or die trying.

    It looks like a good enough plot for a B-Movie, doesn't it? That is just wha thought myself. Let s see what went wrong.

    For starters, the screenplay development is so badly done you'd think the fi were all from Italy. They can't convey the core plot points via screenplay, resort to exposition infodumps. I am not against infodumps as a matter of pr for example, Star Wars would drop an infodump at the begining of each movie story going - but the issue here is it is obvious they need to dump the info the unsuspecting viewer every three minutes because they can't figure a way us core information on the go.

    This translates in many scenes in which we get voiceovers explaining things have been self-explanatory with proper planning. For example, if your Sci-fi mutants and you want to elaborate on the nature of the mutants, you have two for conveying the idea. The first one is to casually introduce the subject i scene before mutants are encountered, posssibly via some dialog ("I am scare place. My uncle told me there are mutants about. They were all radiated by T and turned into cannibalistic monsters!") The second one is to just throw th at the heroes as soon as they enter the forest and have a narrator tell the "There were mutants in the forest".

    I hesitate to classify the acting as atrocious, because I fail to see any ac this movie. I have not done any research, but I feel tempted to bet many of and actresses had never participated in a film in which they were all dresse boinking each other before.

    Robot Holocaust tries to capture the athmosphere of Sword and Sorcery movies cyberpunk twist. Robots and mutants are torn asunder by barbarians wielding swords. It could have worked if the scenery and the customes didn't look pur some post-carnival sale in which retailers were trying to get rid of all the that hadn't been sold because they were so fucking bad. The sword fighting w atrociously filmed, and the mutant monstruosities were so cheaply made I dou spent more than ten bucks on the whole thing.

    All in all, the only Holocaust in this movie is the one you will get if you this over mainstream media and have people watch it. I guarantee most of the population will commit suicide two minutes into the film, not because of the watching the movie itself but because of the pain of knowing the Universe is dark place that the laws of physics allow movies like this to be a possibili

    Don't watch. You have been warned.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    This sounds like a movie you would like to turn off your brain and enjoy.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Wed Mar 1 17:40:09 2023
    Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: Moondog to Arelor on Wed Mar 01 2023 10:11 am

    This sounds like a movie you would like to turn off your brain and enjoy.

    Truth to be told, I was laughing all the way through it because of how badly made it was done. I needed a good deal of Zacapa rum to survive.

    The only good thing you can say about this one is that the Dark Master's second in command is a hottie and she gets to flash her tits. When that is the betst you can say of a movie, you know you have a problem.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Thu Mar 2 19:13:00 2023
    Hello Arelor!

    ** On Tuesday 28.02.23 - 18:03, Arelor wrote to All:

    [...] I guarantee most of the population will commit
    suicide two minutes into the film, not because of the pain
    of watching the movie itself but because of the pain of
    knowing the Universe is such a dark place that the laws of
    physics allow movies like this to be a possibility.

    Don't watch. You have been warned.

    Glad to know that you survived the temptation to off yourself.

    It would be a great loss if we didn't get these hilarious
    reviews.

    --- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Ogg on Fri Mar 3 02:17:06 2023
    Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: Ogg to Arelor on Thu Mar 02 2023 07:13 pm

    Glad to know that you survived the temptation to off yourself.

    It would be a great loss if we didn't get these hilarious
    reviews.

    Somebody has to suffer in order to warn everybody else against bad movies. I guess I have to take the bullet.

    Some government should be paying me because I am performing public service.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ogg on Fri Mar 3 06:12:00 2023
    Ogg wrote to Arelor <=-

    of watching the movie itself but because of the pain of
    knowing the Universe is such a dark place that the laws of
    physics allow movies like this to be a possibility.

    Sounds like Roger Ebert's review of "The Human Centipede", and I quote:

    "I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to
    do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie
    good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world
    where the stars don't shine."

    ... Curious ideas wait for stranger times
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Fri Mar 3 06:16:00 2023
    Arelor wrote to Ogg <=-

    Somebody has to suffer in order to warn everybody else against bad
    movies. I guess I have to take the bullet.

    You do it with a panache I haven't seen since Joe Bob Briggs' "Drive-in
    Movie Reviews", a feature in the Sunday paper many years back.

    https://joebobbriggs.com/drive-in-movie-reviews

    Some government should be paying me because I am performing public service.

    Only if there was a government subsidy to *make* bad movies.

    We already have Hollywood, we need a Bad Movie Capitol.

    ... Curious ideas wait for stranger times
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Oldbieone@VERT/REALITY to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Mar 3 12:58:42 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ogg on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:12 am

    "I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to
    do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie
    good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world
    where the stars don't shine."

    I guess there was only one star in the Human Centipede.... the one at the back, lol!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 5 07:19:09 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ogg on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:12 am

    Ogg wrote to Arelor <=-

    of watching the movie itself but because of the pain of
    knowing the Universe is such a dark place that the laws of
    physics allow movies like this to be a possibility.

    Sounds like Roger Ebert's review of "The Human Centipede", and I quote:

    "I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to
    do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie
    good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world
    where the stars don't shine."

    I should get that movie and watch it.

    See, this friday I watched a movie expecting it to be bad, and it was actually quite good. I felt so disappointed XD

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 5 07:20:37 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:16 am

    We already have Hollywood, we need a Bad Movie Capitol.

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Production Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very hard to snatch the title from their hands.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Sun Mar 5 19:50:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:20 am

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:16 am

    We already have Hollywood, we need a Bad Movie Capitol.

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Production Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very hard snatch the title from their hands.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    Bollywood has been producing some higher end films as of late. The last
    couple of Korean films i saw had higher production values, except I'm not
    sure if it was due to poor overdubbing or if it was poor placement for the comic relief characters.

    I saw two Russian films that were done well. One was story about Mikhial Kala shnikov and the other was called A Tank for Stalin. Both were historic
    dramas, a struggle between the little guy versus the larger powers that be.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to ARELOR on Sun Mar 5 18:39:00 2023
    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Production Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very hard
    snatch the title from their hands.

    The last few Indian movies I watched were really quite good.

    * SLMR 2.1a * Tongue-tied & twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Moondog on Mon Mar 6 07:26:14 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Arelor on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:50 pm

    Bollywood has been producing some higher end films as of late. The last couple of Korean films i saw had higher production values, except I'm not sure if it was due to poor overdubbing or if it was poor placement for the comic relief characters.

    Have you watched RRR? (on Netflix) That movie was quite good. There's a few good reviews of it on YouTube, The Critical Drinker has an excellent take on the film.

    https://youtu.be/HKN6FAKjFPU

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Arelor on Mon Mar 6 06:49:00 2023
    Arelor wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

    See, this friday I watched a movie expecting it to be bad, and it was actually quite good. I felt so disappointed XD

    I grew up watching a lot of UHF TV. We had a couple of local channels
    that played campy films, obtained at a low cost by these stations with
    low budgets. One played bad films until dawn on the weekends.

    ... Meaningless in the absence of time. What never was is never again.
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Tue Mar 7 18:18:11 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Arelor on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:50 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:20 am

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:16 am

    We already have Hollywood, we need a Bad Movie Capitol.

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Productio Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very ha snatch the title from their hands.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    Bollywood has been producing some higher end films as of late. The last couple of Korean films i saw had higher production values, except I'm not sure if it was due to poor overdubbing or if it was poor placement for the comic relief characters.

    I saw two Russian films that were done well. One was story about Mikhial Ka shnikov and the other was called A Tank for Stalin. Both were historic dramas, a struggle between the little guy versus the larger powers that be.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

    I tend to agree. I happen to like many asian pieces better than current American cinema. Korean neo-noirs are quite fine. Their epics are also quite fine. Best of all, they lack all the Western political crap Hollywood is trying to bundle with everything. A number of people I have met online is actively rejecting American cultural material in favor of Asian material for that reason alone. Go figure.

    I have no experience with Russian cinema, but I have watched some mystery and detective pieces from Eastern Europe and they were ok (not great).

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Dumas Walker on Tue Mar 7 18:19:03 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Dumas Walker to ARELOR on Sun Mar 05 2023 06:39 pm

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Production Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very har
    snatch the title from their hands.

    The last few Indian movies I watched were really quite good.

    * SLMR 2.1a * Tongue-tied & twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTT

    I agree. Eega and the Bhaahubali ones were great \o/

    I suspect I have typoed there very hard, heh.

    --

  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to ARELOR on Wed Mar 8 16:08:00 2023
    The last few Indian movies I watched were really quite good.

    I agree. Eega and the Bhaahubali ones were great \o/

    I suspect I have typoed there very hard, heh.

    LOL, maybe, although I think the spelling of Bhahubali is close. :) Those
    are the ones I am familiar with. He is now my favorite super hero. :D

    * SLMR 2.1a * "Mmmmmmmm.....doughnuts."

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Wed Mar 8 12:51:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Arelor to Moondog on Tue Mar 07 2023 06:18 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Arelor on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:50 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Arelor to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 05 2023 07:20 am

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987)
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Arelor on Fri Mar 03 2023 06:16 am

    We already have Hollywood, we need a Bad Movie Capitol.

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Produc Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very snatch the title from their hands.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    Bollywood has been producing some higher end films as of late. The last couple of Korean films i saw had higher production values, except I'm not sure if it was due to poor overdubbing or if it was poor placement for th comic relief characters.

    I saw two Russian films that were done well. One was story about Mikhial shnikov and the other was called A Tank for Stalin. Both were historic dramas, a struggle between the little guy versus the larger powers that b

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

    I tend to agree. I happen to like many asian pieces better than current American cinema. Korean neo-noirs are quite fine. Their epics are also quite fine. Best of all, they lack all the Western political crap Hollywood is try to bundle with everything. A number of people I have met online is actively rejecting American cultural material in favor of Asian material for that rea alone. Go figure.

    I have no experience with Russian cinema, but I have watched some mystery an detective pieces from Eastern Europe and they were ok (not great).

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    The Korean film Snowpiercer had a big budget Hollywood vibe. Big names such as Ed Harris and Chris Evans. Mostly British and US actors, except for two Korean actors who have parts in the story. They appear to be more or less in the story for Korean fan service.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Arelor on Wed Mar 8 13:00:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Arelor to Dumas Walker on Tue Mar 07 2023 06:19 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Dumas Walker to ARELOR on Sun Mar 05 2023 06:39 pm

    I think Bollywood used to take the role of Bad Movie Industrial Product Centre, but if you ask me, I have the feeling Hollywood is trying very
    snatch the title from their hands.

    The last few Indian movies I watched were really quite good.

    * SLMR 2.1a * Tongue-tied & twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/

    I agree. Eega and the Bhaahubali ones were great \o/

    I suspect I have typoed there very hard, heh.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    IIRC Sony Pictures has some investment in regional cinema, and some Bollywood big budget films are remakes of films that sold well in the other world markets. The stories are well written and best sellers. Hand them off to Bollywood and make them into 4 hour action films sprinkled with song and
    dance scenes.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Cougar428@VERT/CJSPLACE to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thu Mar 9 22:57:00 2023
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Arelor <=-

    I grew up watching a lot of UHF TV. We had a couple of local channels
    that played campy films, obtained at a low cost by these stations with
    low budgets. One played bad films until dawn on the weekends.

    When I grew up, the television stations played the national anthem
    at midnight, then up came a test pattern for a few minutes, then
    static until 6AM.

    Then they played the the pledge of allegiance and back to the
    morning shows.

    Guess I'm showing my age. Now the things that overstimulate your
    mind keep going 24 hours a day. And forget the national anthem, you
    won't hear that.

    Cougar

    ... I yam ehav tlsedet ni spgpinhi.

    ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CJ's Place, Orange City, FL - cjsplace.thruhere.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Cougar428 on Fri Mar 10 10:16:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Thu Mar 09 2023 10:57 pm

    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Arelor <=-

    I grew up watching a lot of UHF TV. We had a couple of local channels that played campy films, obtained at a low cost by these stations with low budgets. One played bad films until dawn on the weekends.

    When I grew up, the television stations played the national anthem
    at midnight, then up came a test pattern for a few minutes, then
    static until 6AM.

    Then they played the the pledge of allegiance and back to the
    morning shows.

    Guess I'm showing my age. Now the things that overstimulate your
    mind keep going 24 hours a day. And forget the national anthem, you
    won't hear that.

    Cougar

    ... I yam ehav tlsedet ni spgpinhi.

    ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

    The networks expanded their programming to meet the older early bird and late
    night owl crowd. The early bird news is less likely to be channel surfed, which is better for advertisers. You can tell it's targetted towards senior citizens because the major advertisers are Gold Bond Powder, adult
    diapers, and Geritol

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to COUGAR428 on Fri Mar 10 16:37:00 2023
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Arelor <=-

    I grew up watching a lot of UHF TV. We had a couple of local channels that played campy films, obtained at a low cost by these stations with low budgets. One played bad films until dawn on the weekends.

    When I grew up, the television stations played the national anthem
    at midnight, then up came a test pattern for a few minutes, then
    static until 6AM.

    I remember that also. A couple of our local stations signed off around
    11PM or so at the time. In the Summer, I would stay up late to see that
    and always thought it was so neat.

    * SLMR 2.1a * "Mmmmmmmm.....bacon..."

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MOONDOG on Sat Mar 11 10:22:00 2023
    The networks expanded their programming to meet the older early bird and late
    night owl crowd. The early bird news is less likely to be channel surfed, which is better for advertisers. You can tell it's targetted towards senior citizens because the major advertisers are Gold Bond Powder, adult
    diapers, and Geritol

    Honestly, based on the advertising, I am starting to think that most OTA TV
    is targeted at people who are at least 40 and/or who are diabetic and/or overweight. Lots and lost of drug commercials aimed at those groups, plus anyone with depression.

    * SLMR 2.1a * DALETECH - for all your home security needs!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Cougar428 on Sat Mar 11 08:01:00 2023
    Cougar428 wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

    When I grew up, the television stations played the national anthem
    at midnight, then up came a test pattern for a few minutes, then
    static until 6AM.

    Then they played the the pledge of allegiance and back to the
    morning shows.

    Guess I'm showing my age. Now the things that overstimulate your
    mind keep going 24 hours a day. And forget the national anthem, you
    won't hear that.

    Some of the stations were 24/7 when I was growing up, but you would see
    test patterns on many others.

    I loved that "after hours" experience. You'd see movies and shows they'd
    never play during prime time. We didn't even have a VCR back then, so
    you'd need to be up or you'd miss it.

    ... No ceremonies are necessary.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Sat Mar 11 21:01:28 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sat Mar 11 2023 10:22 am

    Honestly, based on the advertising, I am starting to think that most OTA TV is targeted at people who are at least 40 and/or who are diabetic and/or overweight. Lots and lost of drug commercials aimed at those groups, plus anyone with depression.

    As far as the TV shows, much of the same TV shows and national channels on OTA TV are also available via cable TV and probably satellite TV, as far as I know.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Dumas Walker on Sun Mar 12 08:42:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sat Mar 11 2023 10:22 am

    The networks expanded their programming to meet the older early bird and
    night owl crowd. The early bird news is less likely to be channel surfed which is better for advertisers. You can tell it's targetted towards seni citizens because the major advertisers are Gold Bond Powder, adult diapers, and Geritol

    Honestly, based on the advertising, I am starting to think that most OTA TV is targeted at people who are at least 40 and/or who are diabetic and/or overweight. Lots and lost of drug commercials aimed at those groups, plus anyone with depression.

    * SLMR 2.1a * DALETECH - for all your home security needs!

    I see OTA being more of an over 50 viewing environment, and agree about drug, insurance companies, andcommercials targetted toward a less active audience.

    On cable/ satellite the old Nashville Network turned into a male oriented
    Spike network, and commercials for low testosterone and increasing sexual stamina were common.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Mar 12 17:28:21 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Dumas Walker on Sun Mar 12 2023 08:42 am

    I see OTA being more of an over 50 viewing environment, and agree about

    Do you mean as opposed to cable/satellite, or opposed to streaming services?

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Mon Mar 13 17:17:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sun Mar 12 2023 05:28 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Dumas Walker on Sun Mar 12 2023 08:42 am

    I see OTA being more of an over 50 viewing environment, and agree about

    Do you mean as opposed to cable/satellite, or opposed to streaming services?

    As opposed to cable/ satellite. I get the impression that the over 50 crowd enjoys the older reruns these channels play. I know a few folk who are not into streaming, nor were into premium cable channels with regards to standard TV viewing. They get their news from the local channels, and that's it.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Tue Mar 14 20:37:12 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Mon Mar 13 2023 05:17 pm

    I see OTA being more of an over 50 viewing environment, and agree
    about

    Do you mean as opposed to cable/satellite, or opposed to streaming
    services?

    As opposed to cable/ satellite. I get the impression that the over 50 crowd enjoys the older reruns these channels play.

    I thought a lot of the same channels were available both on OTA and cable/satellite. But now that I think about it, at least in my area, there are some OTA channels that play those old TV show reruns and those channels aren't available on cable/satellite. For local channels, I think cable & satellite tend to only carry the major network channels and not the extra ones.

    I know a few folk who
    are not into streaming, nor were into premium cable channels with regards to standard TV viewing. They get their news from the local channels, and that's it.

    I might be one of those people who fall into that category, though it's mostly because I don't really like the idea of spending a bunch of money on the various different streaming services only for a couple shows I want to watch. I don't even have cable or satellite..

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Wed Mar 15 19:50:00 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Tue Mar 14 2023 08:37 pm

    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Mon Mar 13 2023 05:17 pm

    I see OTA being more of an over 50 viewing environment, and agree Mo>> about

    Do you mean as opposed to cable/satellite, or opposed to streaming
    services?

    As opposed to cable/ satellite. I get the impression that the over 50 crowd enjoys the older reruns these channels play.

    I thought a lot of the same channels were available both on OTA and cable/sa e. For local channels, I think cable & satellite tend to only carry the maj

    I know a few folk who
    are not into streaming, nor were into premium cable channels with regar to standard TV viewing. They get their news from the local channels, an that's it.

    I might be one of those people who fall into that category, though it's most
    or satellite..

    Nightfox

    I've found some of the OTA channels also appear on satellite. MeTV and Heros and Icons channel appear on Dish. I think Ion and a couple of others are showing on OTA and pay pltforms

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Cougar428 on Thu Mar 16 09:49:49 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to MRO on Thu Mar 16 2023 07:20 am

    i have this thing called DOWNLOAD, where i get the few things i
    want.

    So for example, if you wanted to watch Star Trek Enterprise and it
    is only available on Paramount pay streaming services, how would you
    go about getting it?

    Many shows (including that one) are also available on blu-ray and/or DVD, so that would be an option. Also, one could download shows like that via BitTorrent if one really wanted to..

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Fri Mar 17 19:34:00 2023
    Hello Nightfox!

    ** On Wednesday 15.03.23 - 09:36, Nightfox wrote to MRO:

    i have this thing called DOWNLOAD, where i get the few things i want.

    Yep, that works too.

    Some full films are available on dailymotion and vivo.
    Downling with yt-dlp works great with those too.

    --- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Cougar428@VERT/CJSPLACE to NIGHTFOX on Sun Mar 19 08:09:00 2023
    Quoting Nightfox to Cougar428 <=-

    Many shows (including that one) are also available on blu-ray and/or
    DVD, so that would be an option. Also, one could download shows like
    that via BitTorrent if one really wanted to..
    Nightfox

    Thanks NF, my preferred way would also be physical media. I just
    like to have the item in my hand. Problem is I have so many
    packages that I don't have anywhere to store them.

    Is BitTorrent trackable/traceable?

    Cougar

    ... Avoid junk mail: Get an unlisted ZIP code!

    ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CJ's Place, Orange City, FL - cjsplace.thruhere.net
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Cougar428 on Sun Mar 19 11:31:58 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Mar 19 2023 08:09 am

    Is BitTorrent trackable/traceable?

    By default and by design, torrent clients upload while they download. The public IP is visible to every other client downloading/using the torrent.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Cougar428 on Sun Mar 19 18:12:46 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Mar 19 2023 08:09 am

    Thanks NF, my preferred way would also be physical media. I just
    like to have the item in my hand. Problem is I have so many
    packages that I don't have anywhere to store them.

    Is BitTorrent trackable/traceable?

    Yes, as far as I know it is (that's part of how it works - it has to be able to track who is downloading and seeding the files).

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Lmorchard@VERT/DECAFBAD to Cougar428 on Mon Mar 20 02:00:56 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Mar 19 2023 08:09 am

    Is BitTorrent trackable/traceable?

    Yup. Unless you use a VPN on the machine running bittorrent, you will likely receive a letter from your ISP. Like, a real paper cease & desist. I may have messed up years ago and seen one of those from Comcast. :D

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ 0xDECAFBAD - bbs.decafbad.com
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Cougar428 on Tue Mar 21 07:28:31 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: Cougar428 to NIGHTFOX on Sun Mar 19 2023 08:09 am

    Is BitTorrent trackable/traceable?

    It is easy for Internet Service Providers to determine you are using BitTorrent.

    BitTorrent traffic is usually encrypted nowadays, but anybody downloading the same
    files as you can also find out easily you are downloading the same file. In effect,
    the only thing you need to know who are downloading some piece of copyrighted material
    is to start downloading yourself and then check the list of IPs in the swarm.

    You may remain intraceable if you do NitTorrent within an anonimity network (I2P comes
    to mind) but then you are limited to downloads available inside those networks.

    --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Arelor on Thu Mar 23 18:15:00 2023
    Hello Arelor!

    ** On Tuesday 21.03.23 - 07:28, Arelor wrote to Cougar428:

    It is easy for Internet Service Providers to determine you are using BitTorrent.

    What if you launch a VPN conection first?

    BitTorrent traffic is usually encrypted nowadays, but anybody downloading the same files as you can also find out easily you are downloading the
    same file. In effect, the only thing you need to know who are downloading some piece of copyrighted material is to start downloading yourself and then check the list of IPs in the swarm.

    If those other IPs are reassinged IPs from VPNs, it doesn't
    mean much.

    --- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ogg on Fri Mar 24 06:52:00 2023
    Ogg wrote to Arelor <=-

    What if you launch a VPN conection first?

    That helps - make sure you pick a reputable provider who doesn't keep
    logs of traffic.

    BitTorrent traffic is usually encrypted nowadays, but anybody downloading the same files as you can also find out easily you are downloading the
    same file. In effect, the only thing you need to know who are downloading some piece of copyrighted material is to start downloading yourself and then check the list of IPs in the swarm.

    If those other IPs are reassinged IPs from VPNs, it doesn't
    mean much.

    You do need to be extra-careful; ensure that your VPN has a kill-switch.
    If the connection goes down, the VPN client needs to either block all
    traffic or have the capability of killing an app, like your torrent
    client, to ensure that you don't send traffic in the clear.

    ... Don't give Chad a big neural network
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Mar 25 14:50:11 2023
    Re: Re: Robot Holocaust (1987
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ogg on Fri Mar 24 2023 06:52 am

    You do need to be extra-careful; ensure that your VPN has a kill-switch. If the connection goes down, the VPN client needs to either block all traffic or have the capability of killing an app, like your torrent client, to ensure that you don't send traffic in the clear.

    Some torrent clients let you configure which network interface they use, so you could have the torrent client use the VPN network interface. Then it would only send/receive traffic on that interface; also, that would work only when the VPN is connected.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com