• 30 super - opinions?

    From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to All on Fri Aug 12 17:30:00 2022
    I think we might've grazed over it awhile back, but there is a new cartridge that came out early this year called 30 super. It's a lighter lesser
    diameter bullet than the 9mm, but the case is longer. Their about the same legth, except for the case diameter is smaller. A .308" 110 grain bullet versus a 124 grain or greater .356" diameter projectile. Velocity is higher, which makes up for the lack of size. In an S&W Shield+, capacity is 13 rounds compared to 7 rounds of 9mm. A slightly extended mag which offers more to hold on to provides 16 round capacity. Federal , Remington, Seepr, CCI and Hornady are all offering the round, so it's not like looking for 5.7 or 22TCM.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Sat Aug 13 08:28:00 2022
    Moondog wrote to All <=-

    I think we might've grazed over it awhile back, but there is a
    new cartridge that came out early this year called 30 super.
    It's a lighter lesser diameter bullet than the 9mm, but the case
    is longer. Their about the same legth, except for the case
    diameter is smaller. A .308" 110 grain bullet versus a 124 grain
    or greater .356" diameter projectile. Velocity is higher, which
    makes up for the lack of size. In an S&W Shield+, capacity is 13
    rounds compared to 7 rounds of 9mm. A slightly extended mag
    which offers more to hold on to provides 16 round capacity.
    Federal , Remington, Seepr, CCI and Hornady are all offering the
    round, so it's not like looking for 5.7 or 22TCM.

    I won't be getting one any time soon. In my personal opinion, I don't
    want to carry anything weaker than a 9mm. The *only* advantage that I
    can see this cartridge providing is higher magazine capacity. I've
    already solved that by upgrading my S&W Shield to a Shield Plus.

    Honestly the only way I see this being beneficial is to a .380 Auto user
    who wants a little more punch, but doesn't want to go "all the way" to a
    9mm ... (which is a little strange).

    Here a a couple of decent reviews:

    https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/30-super-carry-vs-9mm-ammo-face-off/

    https://gununiversity.com/30-super-carry/

    ... Smith & Wesson: The ORIGINAL point-and-click interface.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Sat Aug 13 11:40:00 2022
    Re: Re: 30 super - opinions?
    By: Gamgee to Moondog on Sat Aug 13 2022 08:28 am

    Moondog wrote to All <=-

[...]

    I've been trying to find reloading data on it, and disocvered it has a .312 diameter round rather than the .308 as I expected. A couple of reloading die manufacturers make sizing dies, but the powder charge data isn't officialy available. Some compare the cartridge to 30 Luger or 32 H&R, which have been around as long as if longer than 9mm. The factories use custom powder blends that are not the same as cannister powders available to hand loaders, and can squeeze more velocity under safe pressures. I was hoping they would use .308 bullets, since I have a bunch of 110gr projectiles intended for 30 Carbine.
    I have been loading them as varmint loads in .308 Winchester. Well, so much
    for adopting a cartridge based on existing supplies...

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Moondog on Sat Aug 13 18:33:00 2022
    Moondog wrote to Gamgee <=-

[...]

    Might be a blessing in disguise. I think this cartridge isn't going to
    take off, and will fade away quietly. I don't see it offering anything
    really useful to anyone.

    ... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Gamgee on Sat Aug 13 23:54:00 2022
    Re: Re: 30 super - opinions?
    By: Gamgee to Moondog on Sat Aug 13 2022 06:33 pm

    Moondog wrote to Gamgee <=-

[...]

    Time will tell. I know someone who swears by his .327 Federal Magnum being a nice light, but lethal round. Today i stopped by Rural King, and they had
    .30 Super in stock. it's ironic I did this research because I knew more than the sale clerks about it. They had nothing under the glass that chambered
    it, but down the road there was a shop that had moth 30 Super and 327 Federal
    chambered pistols in stock.

    Either way, I doubt I will be adopting it, nor picking up any ammo at this moment. Prices are still too high for me. 9mm ball ammo was selling for .50
    a round. I'm more comfortable when it is .20 a round. I can reload .40 S&W f or .26 a round with what I have in components I bought before things got
    crazy.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From somedude@VERT/ABINARY to Moondog on Sat Nov 26 10:22:00 2022
    I ran some timed drills and a qualification course with a friend's 30SC.

    While I had been a bit skeptical at first, it was pretty neat. Recoil was definitely a bit less than a comparable 9mm, muzzle blast was no worse, and the times were tighter than a nine. I'd consider a Shield EZ to try loading some cast flat nose a bit lighter and see if they'd cycle as a small game gun that can be uploaded in town.

    I have a hunch that it will do well for newish gun carriers, handloaders, and those who don't pack a spare mag and appreciate some more capacity for it.

    * Origin: Archaic Binary
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to somedude on Sun Nov 27 14:07:00 2022
    Re: 30 super - opinions?
    By: somedude to Moondog on Sat Nov 26 2022 10:22 am

    I ran some timed drills and a qualification course with a friend's 30SC.

    While I had been a bit skeptical at first, it was pretty neat. Recoil was definitely a bit less than a comparable 9mm, muzzle blast was no worse, and town.

    I have a hunch that it will do well for newish gun carriers, handloaders, an

    Sweet!

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Jimmy Anderson@VERT/FINALZON to Moondog on Thu Jan 5 13:17:00 2023
    Moondog wrote to All <=-

    I think we might've grazed over it awhile back, but there is a new cartridge that came out early this year called 30 super. It's a
    lighter lesser diameter bullet than the 9mm, but the case is longer.
    Their about the same legth, except for the case diameter is smaller. A .308" 110 grain bullet versus a 124 grain or greater .356" diameter projectile. Velocity is higher, which makes up for the lack of size.
    In an S&W Shield+, capacity is 13 rounds compared to 7 rounds of 9mm.
    A slightly extended mag which offers more to hold on to provides 16
    round capacity. Federal , Remington, Seepr, CCI and Hornady are all offering the round, so it's not like looking for 5.7 or 22TCM.

    I'm behind on BBS'ing, so this might be beat to death - LOL - BUT...

    I got excited about it when it was announced, but would really like to
    SHOOT one to get the real feel... My carry is a .40 Shield and I was already looking at upgrading to a Shield Plus for the increased capacity, but
    I really like the .40 (just personal). The .30 SC seems to scratch that
    same itch! If 10 rounds of 9 are good, then 15 round of .30 should
    be better? :-)

    Plus I've been 'intrigued,' I guess you'd say, but a .327 revolver. My understanding is the .30 SC is the 'ACP' version of that round...

    ... ACRONYM: Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net