• Privacy is Power: take back your control

    From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to All on Sun Sep 5 23:46:00 2021
    Hello All!

    "Every minute of every day, our data is harvested and
    exploited. It is time to pull the plug on the surveillance
    economy.

    "Governments and hundreds of corporations are spying on you,
    and everyone you know. They're not just selling your data.
    They're selling the power to influence you and decide for you.
    Even when you've explicitly asked them not to.

    "Reclaiming privacy is the only way we can regain control of
    our lives and our societies. These governments and corporations
    have too much power, and their power stems from us--from our
    data. Privacy is as collective as it is personal, and it's time
    to take back control.

    "Privacy Is Power tells you how to do exactly that. It calls
    for the end of the data economy and proposes concrete measures
    to bring that end about, offering practical solutions, both for
    policymakers and ordinary citizens.

    Privacy is Power: Why and How You Should Take Back Control of
    Your Data | Hardcover

    Carissa Veliz

    Random House Canada UK Distribution | Bantam Press

    Political Science / Public Policy - Science & Technology Policy
    / Intelligence & Espionage / Biography & Autobiography /
    Science & Technology

    Published Jan 26, 2021

    --- OpenXP 5.0.50
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Ogg on Mon Sep 6 08:01:00 2021
    Ogg wrote to All <=-

    Privacy is Power: Why and How You Should Take Back Control of
    Your Data | Hardcover

    I just saved an item in Google tasks - Read "Privacy is Power". The irony is not lost.

    There's an subreddit called /selfhosted that I've been interested in; there are quite a few hostable apps that could take the place of G Suite/Microsoft 365 with a bit of tweaking.

    ... Look at a very small object, look at its centre
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.