• usb3-over-eth, anyone?

    From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to All on Sat Feb 25 18:43:00 2023
    I have a pc that has limited or non-fuctional usb2 ports. I'd
    like to have support for fast usb3 devices. Is there a
    reasonably-priced usb3-over-eth solution? The Digi AnywhereUSB
    AW02-G300 sounds awesome but it is over $400.
    --

    --- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)

    I have a pc that has limited or non-fuctional usb2 ports. I'd
    like to have support for fast usb3 devices. Is there a
    reasonably-priced usb3-over-eth solution? The Digi AnywhereUSB
    AW02-G300 sounds awesome but it is over $400.

    Why do you want it to go over ethernet? There are USB3 expansion cards you can add to a PC. This is a PCI express card:
    https://amzn.to/3m5uyUM

    Full link: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-SuperSpeed-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0 09AT5SVS

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Nightfox on Sun Feb 26 10:03:00 2023
    Hello Nightfox!

    ** On Saturday 25.02.23 - 20:48, Nightfox wrote to Ogg:

    Why do you want it to go over ethernet? There are USB3 expansion cards
    you can add to a PC. This is a PCI express card: https://amzn.to/3m5uyUM

    Thx. ..but I guess I failed to mention that my "pc" is a
    laptop. It has two PCMCIA ports, but I don't think USB 3
    speeds would be supported thru that interface, thus I haven't
    seen such a beast.

    --

    --- OpenXP 5.0.57
    * Origin: Ogg's Dovenet Point (723:320/1.9)
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to nostalia on Thu Mar 2 08:06:00 2023
    Hello nostalia!

    ** On Wednesday 01.03.23 - 19:33, nostalia wrote to MRO:

    Re: usb3-over-eth, anyone?
    By: Ogg to MRO on Sun Feb 26 2023 09:27 pm

    If you're looking for something new instead of ebay -- https://www.usbgear.com/ANYPLACEUSB-H3.html is a 3-port USB 3.1 over IP

    Excellent find. Thx.

    I suppose this could just be a RaspPi repackaged?

    Most things you do over USB are pretty sporadic anyways.

    Perhaps, but a device like that can supplant the meagre USB2 on
    older laptops.

  • From Airmailman@VERT to Ogg on Mon Mar 20 05:20:42 2023
    Re: usb3-over-eth, anyone?
    By: Ogg to All on Sat Feb 25 2023 06:43 pm

    I have a pc that has limited or non-fuctional usb2 ports. I'd
    like to have support for fast usb3 devices. Is there a
    reasonably-priced usb3-over-eth solution? The Digi AnywhereUSB
    AW02-G300 sounds awesome but it is over $400.

    What about a PCIe expansion card. I see USB3 cards going for as little as $5.

    Spend the other $395 on gas...

    Cheers,
    Dennis

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ogg@VERT/CAPCITY2 to Airmailman on Mon Mar 20 14:00:00 2023
    Hello Airmailman!

    I have a pc that has limited or non-fuctional usb2 ports.
    I'd like to have support for fast usb3 devices. Is there a
    reasonably-priced usb3-over-eth solution? The Digi
    AnywhereUSB AW02-G300 sounds awesome but it is over $400.

    What about a PCIe expansion card. I see USB3 cards going
    for as little as $5.

    I decided to get an ExpressCard/54 (PCIe). My T60 Thinkpad
    seemed to accomodate one ..and I didn't realize ExpressCard
    support was there.

    The new card is equipped with three USB3.0 ports.

    Seems to be a good stop-gap measure for now.

    The USB3 speeds on the card are about double what I was getting
    on the USB2 ports. That's good enuff for now.

    Spend the other $395 on gas...

    No kidding. :O