• Windows & Unix?

    From tmcca@VERT to All on Thu Feb 23 16:56:39 2023
    My plan is to run Linux main but only use Windows for Dos doors. Can this be done?
    I tried sharing a folder but seems like that may not work or right approach.
    Do I install Synchronet on Windows as well?
    Not sure how this is done or possible.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to tmcca on Thu Feb 23 22:13:41 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to All on Thu Feb 23 2023 04:56 pm

    My plan is to run Linux main but only use Windows for Dos doors. Can this be done?
    I tried sharing a folder but seems like that may not work or right approach. Do I install Synchronet on Windows as well?
    Not sure how this is done or possible.

    If you want to use Windows for DOS doors, I've heard of people setting up some kind of game server and using RLogin as a door to connect to it. I haven't done that myself, but I suppose you could do it by also installing Synchronet in Windows and setting up the DOS doors there; then from your Linux installation, set up rlogin.js as a door for users to connect remotely to your Windows BBS and play the games there. The command shell on your Windows installation could simply show the external programs menu upon connection.

    In Linux, you can use dosemu to run DOS doors as well. It's not perfect though. There is a dosemu 1.4 that works fairly well overall, except TradeWars 2002 doesn't run in it. There's a dosemu2 that TradeWars 2002 runs in, but some other DOS doors don't run well in it (though I haven't seen many that don't).

    I was running my BBS in Windows for years, but I moved it to Linux last year (because I had other things running on my BBS PC in Linux anyway and didn't want to run a Windows VM anymore). I decided to go with dosemu so I wouldn't have to keep running a Windows VM.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Fri Feb 24 00:14:23 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to All on Thu Feb 23 2023 04:56 pm

    My plan is to run Linux main but only use Windows for Dos doors. Can this be done?

    Yes, you could run a door game server on Windows and connect users to it from the Linux BBS.

    I tried sharing a folder but seems like that may not work or right approach.

    No, that wouldn't solve anything.

    Do I install Synchronet on Windows as well?

    If you want to use Synchronet as the door game server, yes. It's not your only option however.

    Not sure how this is done or possible.

    It is, but it's a little clunky.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Rush quote #19:
    Rebel without a conscience, martyr without a cause
    Norco, CA WX: 41.0øF, 94.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.21 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Fri Feb 24 00:17:08 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: Digital Man to tmcca on Fri Feb 24 2023 12:14 am

    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to All on Thu Feb 23 2023 04:56 pm

    My plan is to run Linux main but only use Windows for Dos doors. Can this be done?

    Yes, you could run a door game server on Windows and connect users to it from the Linux BBS.

    Another option is to run some BBS node on a Synchronet instance running on Windows (could be in a VM or a separate computer) and some node on a Synchronet instances runnning Linux and just only support the DOS door games on the Windows nodes. That's how I run Vertrauen. But that can be confusing for the users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    This Is Spinal Tap quote #39:
    Female Airport Security Officer: Do you have any artificial plates or limbs? Norco, CA WX: 41.0øF, 94.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.21 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ryan Fantus@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Feb 24 00:58:51 2023
    My plan is to run Linux main but only use Windows for Dos doors. Can th done?

    Yes, you could run a door game server on Windows and connect users to it from the Linux BBS.

    This is what I did. You can configure Synchronet to listen for inbound rlogin in Windows. It can then auto-create the user account and auto-launch the door for that user. It works great.

    Thing is, maintaining Windows 7 was becoming a real headache, so I decided to move back to using dosemu2 :)

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ryan Fantus on Fri Feb 24 08:26:22 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: Ryan Fantus to Digital Man on Fri Feb 24 2023 12:58 am

    Thing is, maintaining Windows 7 was becoming a real headache, so I decided to move back to using dosemu2 :)

    A while ago, I thought of trying to use ReactOS for that purpose, and I had set up a ReactOS VM, but it didn't seem to work quite as well as actual Windows.

    I had an idea yesterday though.. I thought about setting up a VM running OS/2 or maybe ArcaOS and running my old DOS-based RemoteAccess BBS as a game server in it with some DOS door games, and use Synchronet's telnet door to let people connect to it. That would probably take up fewer resources than a modern Windows VM. There's a serial driver for OS/2 that provides a virtual COM port and allows incoming telnet connnections to connect to it.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Feb 24 13:34:52 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: Digital Man to tmcca on Fri Feb 24 2023 12:14 am

    Another option is to run some BBS node on a Synchronet instance running on Windows (could be in a VM or a separate computer) and some node on a Synchronet instances runnning Linux and just only support the DOS door games on the Windows nodes. That's how I run Vertrauen. But that can be confusing for the users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    This Is Spinal Tap quote #39:
    Female Airport Security Officer: Do you have any artificial plates or limbs? Norco, CA WX: 41.0øF, 94.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.21 inches rain/24hrs

    That was my plan to run DOS door games on the Window nodes. How is that done? Rlogin or?

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Fri Feb 24 15:47:00 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Fri Feb 24 2023 01:34 pm

    That was my plan to run DOS door games on the Window nodes. How is that done? Rlogin or?

    You would run an instance of Synchronet on Windows and an instance of Synchronet on Linux (as I posted before, but you didn't quote that part of the message). The 2 instances would share the same sbbs tree (e.g. using SMB/Samba, or possibly NFS). Users that want to play DOS door games would connect to the Windows instance at a different hostname, IP address, or port number than the Linux instance. Users that didn't care about DOS door games would connect to the Linux instance. Each instance would use a separate sbbs.ini file that specified the node range it would service:
    wiki.synchro.net/config:ini_files#filenaming

    All other configuration and data files would be shared between the 2 instaces. --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #30:
    The COM I/O routines for Synchronet for DOS were written in ASM by Steve Deppe Norco, CA WX: 49.1øF, 87.0% humidity, 3 mph ENE wind, 0.12 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ryan Fantus@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Feb 24 18:22:34 2023
    A while ago, I thought of trying to use ReactOS for that purpose, and I had set up a ReactOS VM, but it didn't seem to work quite as well as actual Windows.

    Yeah, I suspect the actual use case for ReactOS at this point is pretty limited when things like pcem and other strong emulation platforms exist which run at are above any of the native speeds that we ever were able to achieve with the software we're trying to use anyway :P

    Holy crap that's a runon sentence.

  • From Ryan Fantus@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Feb 24 18:24:49 2023
    I had an idea yesterday though.. I thought about setting up a VM
    running OS/2 or maybe ArcaOS and running my old DOS-based RemoteAccess
    BBS as a game server in it with some DOS door games, and use
    Synchronet's telnet door to let people connect to it. That would
    probably take up fewer resources than a modern Windows VM. There's a serial driver for OS/2 that provides a virtual COM port and allows incoming telnet connnections to connect to it.

    Sorry for separate post, hit /s instead of /q

    Yeah, I actually did this ... sort of. I had a win7 32 bit VM running in a completely firewalled environment. I actually used Synchronet which worked well as a door server, and passing users off to the doors was completely transparent to users - they launched a door on my linux BBS and were immediately in the game in Synchronet with very little lag. It was pretty cool. But the overhead of constantly putzing with that Win7 VM was just a pain, there was always something going wrong with it, so I scrapped it.

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ryan Fantus on Fri Feb 24 18:50:45 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: Ryan Fantus to Nightfox on Fri Feb 24 2023 06:24 pm

    I had an idea yesterday though.. I thought about setting up a VM
    running OS/2 or maybe ArcaOS and running my old DOS-based
    RemoteAccess BBS as a game server in it with some DOS door games,

    Yeah, I actually did this ... sort of. I had a win7 32 bit VM running in a completely firewalled environment. I actually used Synchronet which worked well as a door server, and passing users off to the doors was completely transparent to users - they launched a door on my linux BBS and were

    I had my BBS running in a Windows 7 VM for a while (in Linux), but I didn't want to have to run the Windows VM anymore. The other day, I was thinknig of using OS/2 or ArcaOS because I think their system requirements are lighter than Windows.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Ryan Fantus@VERT to Nightfox on Fri Feb 24 23:08:22 2023
    I had my BBS running in a Windows 7 VM for a while (in Linux), but I didn't want to have to run the Windows VM anymore. The other day, I was thinknig of using OS/2 or ArcaOS because I think their system
    requirements are lighter than Windows.

    The problem I ran into with that line of thinking was that I don't know of any rlogin-direct-to-doorgame type solution (synchronet, gamesrv) that would function in ArcaOS.

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Ryan Fantus on Sat Feb 25 00:02:29 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: Ryan Fantus to Nightfox on Fri Feb 24 2023 11:08 pm

    was thinking of using OS/2 or ArcaOS because I think their system
    requirements are lighter than Windows.

    The problem I ran into with that line of thinking was that I don't know of any rlogin-direct-to-doorgame type solution (synchronet, gamesrv) that would function in ArcaOS.

    Yeah, you'd probably have to use telnet for that. I'm not sure of an OS/2 BBS package that support RLogin.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From tmcca@VERT to Ryan Fantus on Sat Feb 25 09:37:30 2023
    This is what I did. You can configure Synchronet to listen for inbound rlogin in Windows. It can then auto-create the user account and auto-launch the door for that user. It works great.

    Thing is, maintaining Windows 7 was becoming a real headache, so I decided to move back to using dosemu2 :)

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)

    That is what I am interested in. How is that done? I am a newbie at this :(

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 10:31:29 2023
[...]

    I am trying to see if this is correct.
    I installed Synchronet on Windows C:\sbbs and on Linux /sbbs
    I used samba and mounted it on my linux drive /sbbs like so sudo mount.cifs //GAMEPC/sbbs /sbbs -o user=sbbs,uid=$UID

    in linux my sbbs.ini is named sbbs.linux.ini and nodes first 1 last 10 in . Windows its sbbs.ini and nodes I have in there first 11
    and last 15

    sorry for all the questions, I am new to this.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Ryan Fantus@VERT to tmcca on Sat Feb 25 10:40:35 2023
    This is what I did. You can configure Synchronet to listen for inbound r in Windows. It can then auto-create the user account and auto-launch the for that user. It works great.

    That is what I am interested in. How is that done? I am a newbie at this

    Check out this reddit thread, DigitalMan's comment in particular:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/bbs/comments/10eet5j/synchronet_game_server/

  • From tmcca@VERT to Ryan Fantus on Sat Feb 25 10:55:04 2023
    Check out this reddit thread, DigitalMan's comment in particular:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/bbs/comments/10eet5j/synchronet_game_server/

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)

    On Windows I edited modopts.ini to rlogin_xtrn_menu = true

    How i call rlogin to lets say lord for example. In xtrnmenu put in commandline ?rlogin <host address> lord

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sat Feb 25 12:13:44 2023
    Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 2023 10:31 am

[...]

    One of the 2 systems (these are running on 2 different LAN-connected computers?) needs to be the SMB server and the other the client. Myself, I make the Linux system the server, running Samba, and have the Windows system the client. So on Windows, the path to the Synchronet directory tree would not be "c:\sbbs" since that's on a local hard disk. You need to *share* the files between the 2 systems, so they need to be using the *same* files (not copies of the same files in different locations). So depending on how you map the Linux share drive, the actual Synchronet directory tree would appear as s:\sbbs or n:\sbbs or whatever drive letter your chose when you mapped the Samba share.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #10:
    BSO = Binkley Style Outbound
    Norco, CA WX: 37.8øF, 98.0% humidity, 0 mph E wind, 0.58 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sat Feb 25 12:18:42 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Ryan Fantus on Sat Feb 25 2023 10:55 am

    Check out this reddit thread, DigitalMan's comment in particular:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/bbs/comments/10eet5j/synchronet_game_server/

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)

    On Windows I edited modopts.ini to rlogin_xtrn_menu = true

    How i call rlogin to lets say lord for example. In xtrnmenu put in commandline ?rlogin <host address> lord

    No. Per https://wiki.synchro.net/module:rlogin#command-line the command-line syntax is:
    ?rlogin <address>[:port] [mode] [client-name] [server-name] [terminal-type]

    So if you're passing the door's internal code ("lord"), that be passed in the terminal-type field, so it has to be the 5th argument. Plus, if you want auto-login of the user, you to supply the user's name and password, so that'd be:

    --
    digital man (rob)

    Rush quote #20:
    Learning that we're only immortal, for a limited time
    Norco, CA WX: 38.3øF, 98.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.58 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 14:42:06 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Ryan Fantus on Sat Feb 25 2023 10:55 am

    No. Per https://wiki.synchro.net/module:rlogin#command-line the command-line syntax is:
    ?rlogin <address>[:port] [mode] [client-name] [server-name] [terminal-type]

    So if you're passing the door's internal code ("lord"), that be passed in the terminal-type field, so it has to be the 5th argument. Plus, if you want auto-login of the user, you to supply the user's name and password, so that'd be:

    --
    digital man (rob)

    Rush quote #20:
    Learning that we're only immortal, for a limited time
    Norco, CA WX: 38.3øF, 98.0% humidity, 0 mph ENE wind, 0.58 inches rain/24hrs

    When I use rlogin it goes to login screen of the other bbs obviously doing something wrong here but don't know what.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sat Feb 25 15:27:16 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 2023 02:42 pm

    When I use rlogin it goes to login screen of the other bbs obviously doing something wrong here but don't know what.

    The "other bbs" needs to be configured to auto-login new rlogin users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #89:
    XJS = External JavaScript (SSJS embedded within HTML/CSS)
    Norco, CA WX: 44.7øF, 99.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.62 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Sun Feb 26 16:09:31 2023
    I am not sure if I did this correct. I used NFS to mount Linux /sbbs from Windows. I installed Synchronet Windows onto the linux side. However, had to make it chmod 777 in order for Windows write to directory. I have two sbbs files one for linux other for windows. Setup linux nodes 1 to 10 and Windows 11 to 15. What is the permissions supposed to be on linux side, I am guessing 644 for files and 755 directory's? I am sure probably not doing it correctly.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sun Feb 26 16:46:02 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sun Feb 26 2023 04:09 pm

    I am not sure if I did this correct. I used NFS to mount Linux /sbbs from Windows. I installed Synchronet Windows onto the linux side. However, had to make it chmod 777 in order for Windows write to directory. I have two sbbs files one for linux other for windows.

    I think you mean sbbs.exe (not sbbs) for Windows.

    Setup linux nodes 1 to 10 and Windows
    11 to 15. What is the permissions supposed to be on linux side, I am guessing 644 for files and 755 directory's? I am sure probably not doing it correctly.

    It depednds on the owner/group on the files and dirs. You'll get it if you keep at it.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Breaking Bad quote #31:
    Feels like one of those cones put on dogs so they don't lick their own balls. Norco, CA WX: 48.6øF, 68.0% humidity, 2 mph ENE wind, 0.27 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Mar 4 02:27:59 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 2023 02:42 pm

    The "other bbs" needs to be configured to auto-login new rlogin users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #89:
    XJS = External JavaScript (SSJS embedded within HTML/CSS)
    Norco, CA WX: 44.7øF, 99.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.62 inches rain/24hrs

    where is that setting at? Is it in sbbs.ini file?

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sat Mar 4 12:59:10 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Mar 04 2023 02:27 am

    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Feb 25 2023 02:42 pm

    The "other bbs" needs to be configured to auto-login new rlogin users.

    where is that setting at? Is it in sbbs.ini file?

    If the "other bbs" is a Synchronet BBS, then it'll start the new user registration process automatically when an Rlogin client connects with a username that's not in the user base. The only 'setting' to enable that behavior is having the BBS not closed to new users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #89:
    Rob played drums on the LP "Weedpuller" available for digital purchase/stream Norco, CA WX: 55.8øF, 64.0% humidity, 5 mph SE wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From tmcca@VERT to Digital Man on Sat Mar 4 13:22:46 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Mar 04 2023 02:27 am

    If the "other bbs" is a Synchronet BBS, then it'll start the new user registration process automatically when an Rlogin client connects with a username that's not in the user base. The only 'setting' to enable that behavior is having the BBS not closed to new users.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #89:
    Rob played drums on the LP "Weedpuller" available for digital purchase/stream Norco, CA WX: 55.8øF, 64.0% humidity, 5 mph SE wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs

    I think the other BBS I have to toggle the new user questions to be off I think thats issue maybe?

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to tmcca on Sat Mar 4 13:26:29 2023
    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Mar 04 2023 01:22 pm

    Re: Re: Windows & Unix?
    By: tmcca to Digital Man on Sat Mar 04 2023 02:27 am

    If the "other bbs" is a Synchronet BBS, then it'll start the new user registration process automatically when an Rlogin client connects with a username that's not in the user base. The only 'setting' to enable that behavior is having the BBS not closed to new users.

    I think the other BBS I have to toggle the new user questions to be off I think thats issue maybe?

    Just make sure it's not closed to new users. If you can login as "new" via Telnet, then it should be goood to go for newusers via RLogin as well.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Breaking Bad quote #2:
    We flipped a coin, OK? You and me. You and me! Coin flip is sacred! - Jesse Norco, CA WX: 55.2øF, 66.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net