• Message reader

    From Khronos@VERT/CWSHACK to All on Fri Apr 7 10:01:28 2023
    Hi,
    When I am reading the message bases on my personal system I have to hit enter between each post instead of the right arrow key.
    Also I see the message number in a different place on the display as well. What do I need to do to get the behaviorof my system to be the same as the rest of the Synchronet systems I have access too?

    Thanks,

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Fri Apr 7 13:03:59 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to All on Fri Apr 07 2023 10:01 am

    Hi,
    When I am reading the message bases on my personal system I have to hit enter between each post instead of the right arrow key.
    Also I see the message number in a different place on the display as well. What do I need to do to get the behaviorof my system to be the same as the rest of the Synchronet systems I have access too?

    What do you have set in SCFG->System->Loadable Modules->Scan Msgs? If you have anything set there, that'd be a 3rd part message reader module which may behave differently than Synchronet's built-in/internal message reader logic.

    If you provided a screen capture or *any* more details, it'd be easier to know for sure exactly what you're talking about.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Breaking Bad quote #44:
    I once convinced a woman I was Kevin Costner. It worked, because I believed it Norco, CA WX: 67.9øF, 42.0% humidity, 6 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Khronos@VERT/CWSHACK to Digital Man on Sat Apr 8 11:58:53 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Digital Man to Khronos on Fri Apr 07 2023 13:03:59

    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to All on Fri Apr 07 2023 10:01 am

    Hi,
    When I am reading the message bases on my personal system I have to hit enter between each
    post instead of the right arrow key.
    Also I see the message number in a different place on the display as well. What do I need to
    do to get the behaviorof my system to be the same as the rest of the Synchronet systems I
    have access too?

    What do you have set in SCFG->System->Loadable Modules->Scan Msgs? If you have anything set
    there, that'd be a 3rd part message reader module which may behave differently than Synchronet's
    built-in/internal message reader logic.

    If you provided a screen capture or *any* more details, it'd be easier to know for sure exactly
    what you're talking about.
    Here is the text on my screen.
    The module you suggested I check does not have anything in the options.
    It seems to be blank.

    ³ Subj: Message reader
    ³ Attr: Read
    ³ To : Khronos
    ³ From: Digital Man (VERT)
    ³ Date: Fri Apr 07 2023 13:03:59 PDT (19.9 hours ago) ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄúúúúúú

[...]

    ¨ Synchronet ¨ Vertrauen ¨ Home of Synchronet ¨ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

    ¨ Reading ¨ DOVE-Net Synchronet Discussion (?=Menu) (9 of 10):

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
  • From Khronos@VERT/CWSHACK to Digital Man on Sat Apr 8 12:47:58 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Digital Man to Khronos on Fri Apr 07 2023 13:03:59

    Hi again,
    Forgot to post what the help in the message rader looks like to help us out some.

    ³ Reading Messages Menu ³
    ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ
    ÛÛÛÛÛÛ Read Messages ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ Post/Reply Messages ÛÛÛÛÛÛ Message Threading ÛÛÛÛ Û Û Û Û Û <CR> Next msg/thread Û P Post a message Û < > -/+ by Subjects Û Û - Previous msg/thread Û D Delete msg/close poll Û { } -/+ by Author Û Û C Continuous read ÛÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÛ [ ] -/+ by 'To User' Û Û R Reread last msg Û A Reply to last message Û * Toggle Thread View Û Û # Go to message # Û V Vote on last msg/poll Û Hm/End/¨¨ Thread Nav Û Û Û M Reply in mail to last Û Û ÛÛÛÛÛÛ List MessagesÛ Other Commands ÛÛÛÛÛ Û ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ Search/Find ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ Û
    Û L List all messages Û Û B Bypass current sub Û Û T Next ten messages Û Y Messages to you Û I Information on sub Û Û N New messages Û U Your un-read messages Û E Edit last message Û Û H Highest ranked msgs Û F Find text in messages Û Q Quit to Main menu Û Û Û Û Û
    Anytime: Ctrl-U Who's online Ctrl-P Send private msg Ctrl-C Abort cmd/text

    O Operator Commands

    ¨ Reading ¨ DOVE-Net Synchronet Discussion (?=Menu) (11 of 11):

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Sat Apr 8 13:32:04 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 11:58 am

    Hi,
    When I am reading the message bases on my personal system I have to hit enter between each
    post instead of the right arrow key.
    Also I see the message number in a different place on the display as well. What do I need to
    do to get the behaviorof my system to be the same as the rest of the Synchronet systems I have access too?

    What do you have set in SCFG->System->Loadable Modules->Scan Msgs? If you have anything set
    there, that'd be a 3rd part message reader module which may behave differently than Synchronet's
    built-in/internal message reader logic.

    If you provided a screen capture or *any* more details, it'd be easier to know for sure exactly
    what you're talking about.

    Here is the text on my screen.
    The module you suggested I check does not have anything in the options.
    It seems to be blank.

    Then reading messages (posts on sub-boards) should appear the same as you experience when you login to Vertrauen. Is it?

    I'm not sure what "rest of Synchronet systems you have access to" are, so I can't speak to what external message reader module they may have installed. Compare to Vertrauen and tell me if/how it's different.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Breaking Bad quote #24:
    If I had to guess, I'd say that [Tortuga] is Spanish for asshole. - Hank
    Norco, CA WX: 68.5øF, 52.0% humidity, 4 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Sat Apr 8 13:32:40 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 12:47 pm

    Re: Message reader
    By: Digital Man to Khronos on Fri Apr 07 2023 13:03:59

    Hi again,
    Forgot to post what the help in the message rader looks like to help us out some.

    That's the internal/stock/built-in Synchronet message reader. This what you get on most Synchronet systems when reading messages.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #77:
    SSL = Secure Sockets Layer (precursor to TLS)
    Norco, CA WX: 68.5øF, 52.0% humidity, 4 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Sat Apr 8 16:19:04 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 06:28 pm

    Re: Message reader
    By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sat Apr 08 2023 13:32:04

    Hi,
    A few bbs's that have the message reader I am talking about are:
    telnet hobbylinebbs.com
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com
    telnet palantirbbs.ddns.net
    telnet anarchybbs.com 2332

    All of these systems I can cycle between messages with my left and right arrow keys.
    On my system I have to use - to go to the previous message and enter for the next message.

    I don't know about those other systems, but I do know that endoftheline (EOTL, Nelgin's BBS) uses Nigthfox's DDMsgReader module. See xtrn/DDMsgReader/* for details.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    This Is Spinal Tap quote #41:
    Ian Faith: It says "Memphis show cancelled due to lack of advertising funds." Norco, CA WX: 67.9øF, 60.0% humidity, 5 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khronos on Sat Apr 8 18:01:42 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 06:28 pm

    Hi,
    A few bbs's that have the message reader I am talking about are:
    telnet hobbylinebbs.com
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com
    telnet palantirbbs.ddns.net
    telnet anarchybbs.com 2332

    All of these systems I can cycle between messages with my left and right arrow keys.
    On my system I have to use - to go to the previous message and enter for the next message.

    I know End Of The Line uses my Digital Distortion Message Reader (DDMsgReader.js), which is a custom message reader module. I tried logging onto Hobby Line (the first BBS in your list) and it looks like a Wildcat BBS, which would be something different altogether.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Sat Apr 8 19:10:38 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 06:28 pm

    On my system I have to use - to go to the previous message and enter for the next message.

    What about on Vertrauen? Left/right arrow keys work for me, using the internal Synchronet message reader, on Vertrauen.
    --
    digital man (rob)

    Synchronet "Real Fact" #81:
    Vertrauen has had the FidoNet node number 1:103/705 since 1992
    Norco, CA WX: 61.9øF, 72.0% humidity, 3 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Nelgin@nospam@nospam.com to All on Sun Apr 9 02:30:30 2023
    On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:01:42 -0700
    "Nightfox" (VERT/DIGDIST) <VERT/DIGDIST!Nightfox@endofthelinebbs.com>
    wrote:

    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Digital Man on Sat Apr 08 2023 06:28 pm

    Hi,
    A few bbs's that have the message reader I am talking about are:
    telnet hobbylinebbs.com
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com
    telnet palantirbbs.ddns.net
    telnet anarchybbs.com 2332

    All of these systems I can cycle between messages with my left
    and right arrow keys.
    On my system I have to use - to go to the previous message and
    enter for the next message.

    I know End Of The Line uses my Digital Distortion Message Reader (DDMsgReader.js), which is a custom message reader module. I tried
    logging onto Hobby Line (the first BBS in your list) and it looks
    like a Wildcat BBS, which would be something different altogether.

    It says running on Wildcat! twice on the login screen, so I think
    you're correct on that one :)

    And yes, I'm using DDMsgReader. It's already available in /sbbs/xtrn so
    you just need to follow the instructions to configure it to run and
    tailor the theme to your liking.

    You should also use DDAreaChooser too so that everything looks seamless
    for your users. and ddlistlister I guess.

    I've helped iron out a few bugs recently and it's really nice on my
    board now.
    --
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

    Looks like turning on the DDMsgReader.js worked for me.
    From the systems that I had accessed before I thought this editor was the default for Synchronet because this is a common modification that is widely used when my system did not looks the same I thought something was wrong.
    This issue has been sorted out now.

    Thanks,

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khronos on Mon Apr 10 10:48:36 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Khronos to Nightfox on Mon Apr 10 2023 06:12 am

    Looks like turning on the DDMsgReader.js worked for me.
    From the systems that I had accessed before I thought this editor was the

    Good to hear it's working.
    DDMsgReader isn't an editor though; it's just a reader. Also, I think Digital Man said the left & right arrows should work with the stock Synchronet reader. I tried it on Vertrauen and confirmed that to be the case.

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Nightfox on Mon Apr 10 20:23:59 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Nightfox to Khronos on Sat Apr 08 2023 06:01 pm

    I know End Of The Line uses my Digital Distortion Message Reader (DDMsgReader.js), which is a custom message reader module. I tried logging

    Speaking of that reader, can you make something like <space> and 'B' as equivalents to PgDn and PgUp (respectively) for computers without those keys? If you haven't already.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Phigan on Tue Apr 11 10:20:04 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Phigan to Nightfox on Mon Apr 10 2023 08:23 pm

    I know End Of The Line uses my Digital Distortion Message Reader
    (DDMsgReader.js), which is a custom message reader module. I tried
    logging

    Speaking of that reader, can you make something like <space> and 'B' as equivalents to PgDn and PgUp (respectively) for computers without those keys? If you haven't already.

    I can look into making alternate keys for those. But why space and 'B'?

    Nightfox

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Phigan@VERT/TACOPRON to Nightfox on Wed Apr 12 11:11:17 2023
    Re: Message reader
    By: Nightfox to Phigan on Tue Apr 11 2023 10:20 am

    I can look into making alternate key
    for those. But why space and 'B'?

    Those are kind of a standard for "next
    page" and "back". Both in other readers
    and things like 'more'.

    ---
    þ Synchronet þ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io