• Current supported tools for Netmail/newsCurrent supported tools for N

    From Kc4zvw@VERT/WALLACE to ALL on Wed Jun 19 08:53:01 2024
    Hello,

    In the '90 I ran an XBBS system on a 486 and SCO Xenix and a second
    dialup line. When I could get affordable direct Internet access it was
    sort of the end of running a BBS.

    I find it interesting that the Fido-net is still around. Now trying to
    figure out what software/tools to use today. I remeber that I used to
    find PCBoard BBSes and RelayNews(RIME) was popular for tech types in the Jacksonville areas of North Florida.

    regards,

    David -- KC4ZVW

    ---
    Synchronet My Brand-New BBS
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR to Kc4zvw on Wed Jun 19 14:23:00 2024
    Kc4zvw wrote to ALL <=-

    In the '90 I ran an XBBS system on a 486 and SCO Xenix and a
    second dialup line. When I could get affordable direct Internet
    access it was sort of the end of running a BBS.

    I find it interesting that the Fido-net is still around. Now
    trying to figure out what software/tools to use today. I remeber
    that I used to find PCBoard BBSes and RelayNews(RIME) was popular
    for tech types in the Jacksonville areas of North Florida.

    All the tools needed for FidoNet (mailer/tosser) are included in modern Synchronet. They're called Binkit/SBBSecho, check the Wiki for more
    info:

    https://wiki.synchro.net/

    ... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    Synchronet Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to KC4ZVW on Thu Jun 20 09:03:00 2024
    I find it interesting that the Fido-net is still around. Now trying to figure out what software/tools to use today. I remeber that I used to
    find PCBoard BBSes and RelayNews(RIME) was popular for tech types in the Jacksonville areas of North Florida.

    I would suggest Synchronet. It includes FIDO and QWK networking utilities built in, and runs on *nix.

    RelayNet has been gone a while. Most networks that survived were FTN or
    QWK based networks and not those based on proprietary software.

    * SLMR 2.1a * Risking moderation again!
    ---
    Synchronet CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Denn on Fri Jun 21 13:25:07 2024
    Re: Current supported tools f
    By: Denn to MRO on Fri Jun 21 2024 11:09 am

    We don't quote on purpose, You and your brother and your OCD on quoting is way over the top.

    I don't really understand this.. In a text-based environment, it can be difficult to follow the conversation if you don't quote what you're responding to. If the reader doesn't remember what you're responding to, they'd have to go back over who knows how many messages to find the message you're responding to. Also, if you're only responding to a small section of the message, it can be especially good to quote just that part of the message.

    It's just good etiquette. If you don't quote, then you shouldn't be surprised to get negative responses about it, or no responses at all.

    Nightfox

    ---
    Synchronet Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Denn@VERT/OUTWEST to Nightfox on Fri Jun 21 16:56:43 2024
    Re: Current supported tools f
    By: Denn to MRO on Fri Jun 21 2024 11:09 am

    I don't really understand this.. In a text-based environment, it can be difficult to follow the conversation if you don't quote what you're responding to. If the reader doesn't remember what you're responding to, they'd have to go back over who knows how many messages to find the message you're responding to. Also, if you're only responding to a small section of the message, it can be especially good to quote just that part of the message.

    It's just good etiquette. If you don't quote, then you shouldn't be surprised to get negative responses about it, or no responses at all.

    I only do that to MRO and Gamgee, and its because they're total jerks when someone forgets to quote, plus they always treat others like crap.

    ---
    ■ Synchronet ■ the Outwest BBS - outwestbbs.com or outwest.synchro.net
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Sat Jun 22 08:23:00 2024
    I agree with everything nightfox said.

    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    Synchronet .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Accession on Sat Jun 22 08:25:00 2024
    Accession wrote to MRO <=-

    Believe they already have something like that in place in Fidonet in
    the Telegram related echo. Funny though, it's now just as dead as the
    rest of the echos there. Whoda thunkit?

    So there's a Fido TELEGRAM echo and fido echoes ported to Telegram
    groups? I suppose I'm old-school, I prefer to talk about platforms on
    the platform in question.

    ... Adding on
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    Synchronet .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Jun 25 18:56:52 2024
    Hello poindexter,

    On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 08:25:00 -0700, you wrote to me:

    Believe they already have something like that in place in Fidonet in
    the Telegram related echo. Funny though, it's now just as dead as the
    rest of the echos there. Whoda thunkit?

    So there's a Fido TELEGRAM echo and fido echoes ported to Telegram
    groups? I suppose I'm old-school, I prefer to talk about platforms on
    the platform in question.

    The FIDONET.TELEGRAM echo *is* ported to and from Telegram. There is only one echo for it, as far as I know.

    Regards,
    Nick

    ... Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.
    --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20240309
    * Origin: _thePharcyde distribution system (Wisconsin) (723:1/1)
    ■ Synchronet ■ _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)