• Yaesu FT-891

    From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to All on Sat Mar 10 20:47:50 2018
    Hi everyone,

    I'm thinking about getting a Yaesu FT-891 with an ATAS-120 antenna for a
    small but usable station as I'm looking at moving into an apartment soon.
    The 891 has a very good price from what I've seen, less than USD$700 new.
    The ATAS is a bit spendy but I know it will work very nicely with the 891.
    Has anyone used the 891? If so, what did you think of it?

    73,
    Sean
    KD5COL

    ... Help stamp out, eliminate and abolish redundancy!
    --- MultiMail/Linux
    * Origin: Outpost BBS * Limestone, TN, USA (1:18/200)
  • From Al Kaiser@1:142/926 to Sean Dennis on Sun Mar 11 19:59:05 2018
    Sean Dennis wrote to All Subject: Yaesu FT-891

    I'm thinking about getting a Yaesu FT-891 with an ATAS-120
    antenna for a small but usable station as I'm looking at moving
    into an apartment soon. The 891 has a very good price from what
    I've seen, less than USD$700 new. The ATAS is a bit spendy but I
    know it will work very nicely with the 891. Has anyone used the
    891? If so, what did you think of it?

    Don't you mean the FT-991A? The FT-817ND is the QRP Battery Pack Radio.
    If you are talking about the FT-991A they are a great little radio. The club has two of them and you can do much with it. You can "dial down" the power anywhere from zero to 100 watts. Lots of other features and great choice if you are not going for one of the larger fixed station trancievers.

    Al Kaiser n1api@cox.net <=-

    Have a nice day, Sean!

    Al Kaiser - Meriden, CT, 11-Mar-2018 at 19:59.
    Fido : 1:142/926 - Internet : n1api@cox.net

    .!. 100 years ago a Twenty Dollar bill and a Twenty Dollar gold piece
    .!. were interchangeable. Either one would buy a new suit, new shoes
    .!. and a night on the town. The Twenty Dollar gold piece will still do that. --- Terminate 5.00/Pro
    * Origin: Terminate has most advertising origin lines ;-) (1:142/926)
  • From Holger Granholm@2:20/228 to Sean Dennis on Sun Mar 11 09:53:00 2018
    In a message on 03-10-18 Sean Dennis said to All:

    Hi Sean,

    Has anyone used the 891? If so, what did you think of it?

    I haven't used one but I have read reports about it saying that it
    creates noisy sidebands that also affect reception when strong signals
    are close.

    73 es GN de Sam, OH0NC

    aka Holger

    .. I am not lazy; I just have a strong relaxation drive.
    -- MR/2 2.30

    --- PCBoard (R) v15.22 (OS/2) 2
    * Origin: Coming to you from the Sunny Aland Islands. (2:20/228)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Holger Granholm on Mon Mar 12 22:32:52 2018
    Hi Holger,

    I haven't used one but I have read reports about it saying that it
    creates noisy sidebands that also affect reception when strong signals
    are close.

    That's not a good thing. I saw a nice Kenwood TS-450S (I believe that's the right model) for $390 today on qrz.com. Unfortunately, I am about to start a new job and move to a town about 30 minutes northeast of me, so any extra money
    has to stay in savings. :)

    73,
    Sean KD5COL

    --- Maximus/2 3.01
    * Origin: Outpost BBS - bbs.outpostbbs.net (1:18/200)
  • From Holger Granholm@2:20/228 to Sean Dennis on Tue Mar 13 09:42:00 2018
    In a message on 03-12-18 Sean Dennis said to Holger Granholm:

    GE Sean,

    creates noisy sidebands that also affect reception when strong signals
    are close.

    That's not a good thing. I saw a nice Kenwood TS-450S (I believe
    that's the right model) for $390 today on qrz.com. Unfortunately, I
    am about to start a new job and move to a town about 30 minutes
    northeast of me, so any extra money has to stay in savings. :)

    Don't tell me about saving, hi. I have to do it all the time since the
    pension (retiree) payment is too small to allow any extravagamza.

    I do have some savings but I hesitate to use it to upgrade my hobbies.

    CU AGN, Sam, OH0NC

    aka Holger

    .. 3 things happen as you age:1) Your memory goes; 2) uh..um