• In-App Purchases

    From Erich Bublitz@1:153/757.2 to All on Fri Nov 5 15:02:17 2021
    The app is free to use and download but it contains "in-app purchases". How do you feel about that?

    $ The Millionaire $
    (Co-SysOp Of The Rusty Mailbox)
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
  • From Jay Harris@1:229/664 to Erich Bublitz on Fri Nov 5 19:53:54 2021
    On 05 Nov 2021, Erich Bublitz said the following...

    The app is free to use and download but it contains "in-app purchases". How do you feel about that?

    Make a good app, and I'll happily throw some money your way if I find it useful. I'm even fine with the pay once to remove ads kind of thing.

    What I don't like is the move to subscriptions where there clearly isn't a need. A good example of this is an app called Fantastical. They were a pay-only app (around $7 to buy) and I was happy to give them money for a great app. What it does is take all of your current calendars and display them in different/helpful ways. You can add items to your calendar using natural language via text or voice "dentist june 6 @ 10am" and it would add that to the correct day and time.

    Then they decided to go "freemium" and screwed over all of us that paid for the app. Now anyone can download the app for free and you have to pay $55 /year for the app. $55. per. year. To display the content already on your own calendar. They're not even hosting your content, just re-displaying my Google calendar!

    Another company (Notability) recently tried to do this and got blasted by all of their users and actually reversed course:

    https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/app-store/notability-reverses-course-existing-use rs-to-get-lifetime-access/

    Fantastical never relented and seemed to enjoy screwing over their customers.

    I updated my rating to 1 star for them, removed the app and now just use the Google calendar and the one built into iPhone.

    Jay

    ... Eye witnesses were on the scene in minutes.

    --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/10/25 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (1:229/664)
  • From Erich Bublitz@1:153/757.2 to Jay Harris on Sun Nov 7 11:13:55 2021
[...]

    If I find the in app purchase worth the money then I'll pay for the extra stuff.